Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spring Recital 2008

Last Friday we had our spring piano recital here at our house. The kids did great! This is worth mentioning because I wasn't sure that would be the case. I held my breath during a couple of the songs, because earlier that week during lessons, a couple of the songs were... still in the "needs-more-practice stage." However, the kids worked hard and pulled it off. And a big thank you to one friend who helped out with serving the desserts afterward - the kids always make a mad dash for the kitchen as soon as I start hinting that the recital is over. I saw a few eyes glaze over as I started wrapping things up, you know, "this has been a great year," "the kids have made a lot of progress." It was like I could see the words changing as I said them out loud, and all the kids could hear was "Blah, blah, blah." I felt like one of the adults from the Peanuts specials. Then I said the magic word - dessert - and bam! The whole front row was gone.


We did have two minor catastrophes, though. I forgot to give out the award ribbons at the end! After going to all the trouble of ordering them, picking out a color that would match the programs, writing the kids' names and song titles on the back - I was furious with myself for forgetting. I have been hunting down kids all week, trying to get them their ribbons. The other issue we had is also my fault. I have been stubbornly continuing to have some of the recitals here at our house. It is mostly because I heart my piano and the way it sounds with the high ceilings in our front room. So I force everyone to get cozy and smoosh into the front two rooms of my house. In the past, we've had 30 people at most, so it hasn't been too bad. Friday's attendance: 45. So. Many. People. It's fantastic, it's what I want, we just don't fit. We had people spilling into the kitchen and the front entry way, and of course the parent paparazzi on the stairs. I felt really bad when I noticed that someone that I borrowed twelve chairs from ended up having to stand. I think next year I am going to have to bite the bullet and reserve the church. The piano there may be crummy, but at least we won't feel like we've been playing sardines.

Check out this video of Thing 1 and his friend playing their duet. I got this from a friend; I would have posted the version from my camera, but mine didn't have the dance footage in the background.




1 comment:

Lilly said...

I love the "dancer"!! We are so excited for Autumn to start lessons.