Sunday, November 9, 2008

Happy Sparky Day

Today is Sparky day. He turned... well, I don't know if he wants me to say. I think he sometimes reads my blog, but who knows. I've mentioned before that he thinks he's old, but I discovered this week that he doesn't like me saying that he's old. Whatever.

Despite his quirkiness, or maybe because of it, I love him. This weekend I got to see him in his element at Thing 1's end of the season soccer party, where as the coach he got to hand out medals and talk about each kid individually - what they did to contribute to the team this year and things he liked about them personally. He loves coaching, and he loves the kids he coaches. We talked in the car about how we didn't realize what we were getting into when he started coaching that first team 5 or 6 years ago, but how we wouldn't change anything. I don't like being apart from him, but I love that he enjoys volunteering in the community. I love that he is a good dad to our boys. I love that he makes me laugh and he still lets me beat him at Dr. Mario. I love that he is fantastically brilliant, but spells like a third grader. And I love that out of all the presents I got him this year, his favorite is the college basketball preview magazine that I got for 5 bucks. I told him it's like babies ignoring their presents and playing with the wrapping paper.

Anyway, happy birthday, Sparky!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sparky,
Getting old is great (the rest of us are young at heart) tell him that is what counts. Miss ya'll, don't worry, when I visit next time, it is your house longer.

Sean said...

That's an awesome post! Happy b-day, Sparks. I can't wait to see you all so soon. Take care.