Monday, September 22, 2008

Whaling Days 2008



Here are some pictures from the races the boys and I did at the end of July. Whaling Days is the big festival here in Silverdale and is always lots of fun. Here is Thing 3 in his first race ever! He is in a navy blue shirt, number 2200. Note how he keeps looking back to check on his mama!




Next is Thing 2, on the far right in a gray shirt, who had a great start and a not so great finish. At the very end, a kid cuts in front of him and trips him. Not the sparkling first
place finish we saw at Viking Fest in May.



Thing 1 ran the 1 mile again and did great, finishing in 8:08. This course is pretty hilly, so he was pretty happy with his time. As you can tell, he gave it all he had!



I ran the 4 mile, and had a lousy race. I felt really tired from the start. I had been sick with a cold, and I coughed throughout the race. At the end, I felt like it was hard to breathe, which brought back memories of childhood asthma. Apparently other people were having trouble as well. Sparky said four or five people who crossed the finish line before me puked while crossing. Nice. No wonder the race worker looked panicked when I crossed looking green. I ran it in 33:26 which is a full minute and a half slower than last year. Here is a picture of me at the beginning of the race before I knew what I was getting myself into. Sparky took one of me at the finish line, but I'm not posting that one.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is great. Guess what, I am going to try and run a 5k in April. I know, I am trying to train my body to endure running longer periods of time.

Jen Bay said...

I think it is so cool that the Boys are running too. You are a great Mom!

Fireball said...

Thanks, Jen. It's fun having the kids tag along - I know I should enjoy it while I can. In a few years they will be too busy with their own stuff to do things with their mom!

And Rachel, you rock. You can totally do a 5k, especially if you start training now. And April is the perfect time to run a race in SLC.