Sunday, September 21, 2008

Feel Good Parenting Moment

Today is soccer picture day for Thing 2. I hate when it is scheduled on a Sunday, but I try not to make a big deal about it. I have a big thing about playing sports on Sunday. I only did it once in my life; it was the Gus Macker 3 on 3 basketball tournament. I was 17, my parents were out of town, no one would know. Long story short, I broke 2 fingers, my bishop had to take me to the emergency room, and I nearly screwed up my senior year season of volleyball. Yikes! Lesson learned - no sports on the sabbath.

But what about sport pictures? I figure it's okay to take pictures on Sunday, we do it all the time. I'd rather do soccer stuff on a different day, but whatever. This year it's a pain, though, because I have to take Thing 2 out of primary a few minutes early to make it. Now, let me pause here and tell you that this is the kid that really grumbles about going to church. "Is it Sunday? Aw, man!" "Why do I have to wear a tie? I hate ties!" "Why is church so long and they don't even have any food?!" So when I stopped in primary to pull him out a little early (I know, I'm evil) he surprised me. He wouldn't leave. "Mom, I want to stay. Can't I just put on my uniform for you later and you can take a picture?" I wanted to give him a big hug right there in front of everybody. Of course you can stay in church, buddy. Thanks for teaching your mom about what's important.

3 comments:

They call me a Navy Wife said...

I was sitting behind Thing 2 when you came in to get him. All I could think was I wish that my son grows up like that!

Danae said...

YEAH! I am so happy he wanted to stay. I hope he will bare with me a few more weeks to get through the program and I promise more fun ahead! He is such a sweet kid!

Unknown said...

That's totally wicked! Good job on raising your kids.