Friday, May 29, 2009

I am a lousy mother


I am not the most supportive mom ever, and little league baseball tends to broadcast it to the world. I still believe that the best thing about little league is how cute little kids look in catcher's gear. Last year, I was bitter about the snack. Last week, we found out that Thing 2 made the baseball all-star team, and my first reaction was, "Aw crap. Now I'm going to have to go to more games!" Then I realized that normal parents don't react this way, so I gave a half-hearted "Go Thing 2, go!" to keep up appearances. I think there's something wrong with me. There's another family with a kid on this team that totally makes up for my lack of enthusiasm. They have their kid training year round, and they are really into the games. I'm pretty sure they would have been devastated if he hadn't made all-stars (he did). I think they're having a parade in his honor next week, and the paperwork is being filled out to make his all-star debut a national holiday.

Anyway, I was lying in bed this morning, thinking what a lousy mom I am, when Thing 3 came in for his usual early morning snuggle (or "snug" as he calls it). After a few minutes, he turned to me and said I was his best friend, which of course made me smile. I'm not a great mom, but at least I have my kids fooled!

6 comments:

Sean said...

I can say from direct observation that I know that you are in fact a great mom!

Jen Bay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Bay said...

My original comment came off wrong, so i deleted it. I think that deep down we are the Mom we are trying to be... but keeping it up 24/7. That's hard. And make no mistake, your measurement of a good mom isn't how many baseball games you are willing to sit through. Thankfully.

Durben Family said...

Your a great mom! He is signed up and there every week....clean and well fed and enjoying his interest. I don't remember my parents at games or performances... but I'm grateful that they listened and allowed me to dabble in new experiences... They made it happen, but it was up to me to enjoy it or not...

Unknown said...

Oh crap-I don't have any children and I feel the same way. That is not a good sign.

Unknown said...

If you are not a great mom, then there is little hope for the rest of us :) It's all about love and as long as the kids know that you love them the rest is just details.