Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Downside of Running

I generally enjoy running. I know, I know. I'm a freak. But it's my escape, my "me time." Plus I feel better when I do it. Gotta love those endorphins! I have had some bad experiences while running, though. I have been chased by many scary big dogs. I was flashed once when I was running by myself on the Provo river trail (nasty!). I lost my key once and had to backtrack for a mile and a half, looking for it while praying for a miracle (I found it!).

And now I can add yesterday to the list. I was at the corner of Myhre and Mickleberry, and I passed a crazy man who started screaming at me and scared me to death. He was yelling "You stink!" and asked me if I rubbed dog s*** all over myself. How do you answer a question like that? I kept going, but checked multiple times to see if he was following me, and I turned my key so that the jagged side was sticking out of my hand, just in case. I don't know why, but that always makes me feel a little better. If I have to ever defend myself, then it's - look out! I've got my key! And I can somehow hurt you with it! Anyway, I'm hoping for an uneventful, pleasant long run this Saturday, so help me get the word out for the crazies to stay off the streets from about 10 to noon.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

I used to bike in Florida all the time and I had people throw stuff at me.

Suzanne said...

If I see him out there today I'll tell him you said hi!

Sean said...

That's funny/scary. One of my female friends related that she was flashed twice (by different people) in the period of a month during her run around the park near her apartment complex. That must be some sort of common experience for women runners.

Diana said...

Scary with a capital s! Glad you know the ol' key trick. Nobody messes with The Marilee!!!
Keep up the great work!