Friday, December 4, 2009

Getting the heck out of Dodge

For about the last year I've been bragging about something, and now it's coming back to bite me. I was at a doctor's appointment, getting my blood drawn, when the lab tech saw my wedding ring and said, "Oh my goodness! You're married? I thought you were in high school!" I would have hugged her if I didn't have a needle stuck in my arm at the time. She didn't make my day, she made my year.

It all came crashing down yesterday, when I was Christmas shopping at the mall. I was at the register buying something for Sparky, some articles of clothing clearly for an adult man, and I had this conversation:

Perky just-out-of-high-school cashier: "Oh, cool. Are these for your son?"

Me, full of calm and patience: "Um... no... They're for my husband."

*Awkward silence*

Cashier: "Debit or credit?"

I wanted to either slap her or lecture her (Listen, if you're going to work in retail...). Of course I have no backbone and did neither, just pasted a smile on my face and got the heck out of Dodge. I've decided that the two experiences cancel each other out, so now I'm just left with me, being dragged kicking and screaming into middle age.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

A few years ago I had a woman ask me if I had a son in the navy.

Not unless they're recruiting kids now, thanks. That was a bad day.

I think you look very youthful!

~T~ said...

A youthful appearance has its perks -- and some disadvantages. When people say, "You don't look old enough to have four kids!" I'm never sure if they mean it admiringly or accusingly. Probably both, but I try to respond graciously, as if it were the former.
I suppose we are in the middle now, but for encouragement I remember what Elder Perry said:
"The first part of August 2002 I reached a major milestone in my life. I was passing from middle age to old age with my 80th birthday." (Ensign, Sep 2006, 8)
If I can be as positive as he is, it'll be a while before they kick me, screaming, out of middle age!

Shauna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.